Buffalo Style Roasted Tofu

Buffalo Style Roasted Tofu

For this Super Bowl of weekends, I decided to make the snack of sports bars and fans everywhere – Buffalo Wings. But instead of wings, it’s roasted tofu cubes.

It’s amazingly simple and easy. I used the method for roasting tofu from Vegan Soul Kitchen then tossed in Buffalo hot sauce. That’s it.

So good and rich-tasting. It’s now my snack of choice for all sporting events. Bring on the Winter Olympics.

Buffalo Style Roasted Tofu

Buffalo Style Roasted Tofu
Serves 4

1 16-ounce block of extra-firm tofu
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Buffalo Sauce
1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot Original Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
1/8 cup Earth Balance Soy-Free Butter

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl, combine the oil, salt and paprika. Cut the tofu into cubes and gently toss to coat with the mixture. Place each tofu cube in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Roast for 15 minutes on each side.

In a wok, melt the butter. Turn off the heat and add the hot sauce. Stir to combine. Add the freshly roasted tofu and toss until throughly coated. Serve immediately with celery sticks and ranch dressing.

Ranch Dressing
Makes a little over 1/3 cup

1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup Vegenaise or other vegan mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon granulated onion powder
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Chill until ready to use.

Comments

these look awesome! i love the idea of making buffalo style roasted tofu cubes! thanks for the great recipe, i loooooove me some frank’s hot sauce – and a recipe for vegan ranch, too?! doublew00t! yay!

I love the simplicity of this recipe, and all ingredients I always have on hand. I’ll be whipping up a batch next time I have a craving. I’ve never had vegan ranch before so I’ll be looking forward to this as well!

3. Lisa says

I’m so impressed! I just made these and they are easy and so, so tasty! My partner and I really like spicy foods, so I omitted the ranch dressing for the sake of ease. They’re even perfect without the dressing! Such a great treat – we’ll be making these often.

Another great variation on those roasted tofu cubes! I’m still toying with those, too. The last incarnation was chipotle chile powder and smoked salt, but the powder was hotter than I expected– I think a more “buffalo-ey” hotness is a better idea! I will definitely try this sometime soon.

Y’know, I’ve never had buffalo-anything, but these look so good (and easy), I don’t think it even matters. I have everything on hand, too! I think I just figured out dinner.

6. Cheryl Lotfy says

Did you drain the tofu before roasting it? Also you say 15 minutes on each side…is that just flipping it twice?

Cheryl Lotfy – Yes, drain the tofu but you don’t have to press it. Actually, it’s flipping it just once – 15 minutes on one side, turn over for another 15 minutes for a total of 30 minutes. Happy cooking! :-)

8. Michele says

Just made these. So easy. Simple ingredients I always have in the house. I love buffalo sauce and it is great to know I have a great dish without it having to be on a wing!

9. Lana says

Wow. I didn’t use the same tofu recipe because I made mine breaded with panko, nutritional yeast, and spices and then tossed in Frank’s. But I DID make this ranch to go along. I am absolutely amazed, it adds EXACTLY what the dish needs to go over the top. Frank’s plus that fantastic ranch could go with anything. I bow down to your expertise!

10. Susan says

I JUST finished making this recipe and it’s absolutely amazing!! I will definitely make this again :]

11. Stephanie says

I have been craving wings lately, but don’t eat meat. I suddenly thought “hmmm Buffalo tofu!”. Looked it up and came across your recipe which looked perfect and very, very easy. Did we like it? Well, let’s just say I’m on my second DOUBLE batch in two days! My 22 year old daughter, her boyfriend, my husband and I are all addicted! These are truly fantastic!!
    Thank you for sharing….I actually believe these are better than ‘real’ wings!! :)

12. Karina says

I made this last night and it was FANTASTIC! I couldn’t find a 16oz package of tofu so I used a 12oz and just used a lil less butter and hot sauce. I tossed it with brown rice, my picky eater husband, went back for seconds. This will be a staple in my home now.

13. Noah says

Came across these the other day and made them almost immediately. They turned out really well! I used a bit more paprika, and mixed the Red Hot with olive oil instead of melted butter. Also my wife tossed some bonus cayenne into the sauce. It was great and I look forward to making them again!

14. Florista Foodie says

I’ve been researching vegan substitutions for my recipe blog- this one’s great! I used tobasco though, because I don’t think Franks, delicious as it is, is vegan. :/ At least I know that Franks Redhot Wing Sauce is definitely not.

I have made this often. Love it to death! I have sometimes added liquid smoke to tofu before roasting it. I have also chopped a little red onion and celery to make a sandwich mix for my pita. I am a flexigarian, but finding veganism quite satisfying.

16. Becky says

I loved this recipe. So simple to make and I had the ingredients on hand. I’ve never baked tofu before and will only make it this way in the future! Perfect quick dinner.

17. dc pat says

really. Try freezing the tofu first. I can’t believe nobody does this. It’s different, yeah but it soaks marinades right up and changes the texture of the tofu. Still need extra firm but it’ll change the way you cook.

1. […] found the recipe for the Buffalo Style Roasted Tofu on a fantastic blog called Chow Vegan (recipe here). Lauren made the tofu, put it on top of an easy garden salad and then used the ranch dipping sauce […]