VeganMoFo: BBQ Yuba Ribs

VeganMoFo: BBQ Yuba Ribs

Continuing on with more comfort food, I made BBQ yuba ribs. I don’t even remember where or when I first saw the original recipe. I just love that it’s made from yuba, also known as bean curd sheets. Served with potato salad and sautéed swiss chard, it really hits that down-home spot.

BBQ Yuba Ribs
Makes 4-5 servings
Adapted from the Un-Ribs recipe in Kathy Cooks by Kathy Hoshijo

1 6-ounce package dried bean curd sticks
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoon white miso
2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup bbq sauce

Soak the bean curd sticks in water for a few hours until soft. Drain and squeeze out any water. Cut into 4-6″ lengths, if there’s any hard pieces (usually where it folds) cut those off.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a lightly-oiled piece of tin foil. In a large bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the bbq sauce into a smooth thin paste. Coat the bean curd sticks in the paste and place on the baking sheet in a single layer.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the bottoms are crisp and browned. Remove from the oven and mix with the bbq sauce. Place back onto the baking sheet in a single layer and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.

vegan mofo logo

Comments

Felicity over at Thrifty Living made these a while back and prompted me to make them.
    They were gooood but I could only get sheets of yuba and they didn’t work out as good as Felicity’s or as good as yours. If I ever get hold of yuba sticks then this is what I’m making.

Andrea – Me too. It’s so good in so many different things.

Faith – Thanks!

jeni treehugger – I saw that post, they looked good. Yup, doesn’t seem like yuba sheets would be the same.

Vegan Dad – Hopefully you’ll find some soon.

Melissa – If they’re sheets, they might not work as well in the recipe as the sticks.

Carrie – Thanks! Bummer you can’t find any. :-(

i’ve never heard of yuba, but now i’ve gotta get me some. oh my goodness – your ribs look so darn delicious. that’s one plate of awesome, indeed! mmmmmmmmmmm!

Wa-hey!!! I have these sticks in my pantry and was not too sure about how to use them in many different ways (well, other than soups and stews), so this is just wonderful!

Thank you for sharing!

Can I second VeganDad on this one?! I think we actually had yuba on a trip to Toronto recently, though it was at a Chinese restaurant. On its own, it was merely okay–but this looks fantastic! Did you get the yuba at an Asian grocery?

oh wow!, i have a packet of yuba in my pantry that’s been sitting there for ages with the intention of being turned into mock ham, but i never thought to try something like this with it!

jessy – Thanks!

KiKi – It’s a great use for the sticks, something new and different. Although I do like them in soups and stews too.

Mark – Thank you! Yes, I got the dried yuba sticks from my local Asian supermarket.

Philippa O – If you have the yuba sticks, give it a try. :-)

8. Meg Eagle says

These are awesome, thanks for the recipe!
    My hubby loves BBQ, thankfully he doesn’t believe in eating animals either, so I’m glad I found this. Yum!

I doubt you’ll see this before I make it later today, but I’m just wondering – is the water listed what you use to soak the yuba, or does the paste have water? I’ve already soaked the yuba but now I don’t know whether to put water in the paste. I’ll try it without and see how the texture is.

Liz – The water is for the paste. If you already made it, you would have noticed that the paste is really thick if you didn’t add the water. Hope it came out ok. :-)

11. EL Abogado says

I try to make YUBA RIGHT AFTER I POST, this is for the 1st. time I do it, I hope I shall enjoy it made by myself for I ate made by others and I did not like very much also it had some kind of smell, but now is the challenge for me for the milk is waiting for me to process it, catch up with you later guys.

12. Louise says

I purchased Yuba through amazon. I also got bean curd sheets from there as well. Soaking some now. I think this is what I’m going to make!!! This sounds amazing! Thanx