Blackened Tofu From Vegan Soul Kitchen

Blackened Tofu from Vegan Soul Kitchen

I’m not very familiar with African American or Southern cuisine, so I was very excited to have the opportunity to review the recently released cookbook Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry. I decided to go with an ingredient (tofu) that I’m well-acquainted with but prepared in a new-to-me twist – Blackened Tofu Slabs with Succotash Salsa.

Now, I’ve tried a blackened something or other before I was vegan and I must not have thought much of it because I never tried blackened anything again. I just remember it as being very black and kinda burnt so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

Blackened Tofu from Vegan Soul Kitchen

Imagine my delight, when first off, blackened doesn’t mean black or burnt at all (there’s a few darker spots but I wouldn’t call it burnt). It’s basically tofu with a crust of spices. Spicy spices.

It’s amazing – prep the tofu, dredge in the spices and place in the pan with no oil. I thought for sure, okay this is where it’s going to get all burnt and everything. But nope, it’s totally fine.

Oh, and the salsa! I’ve never had baby lima beans in salsa before. So fresh, so vibrant and so colorful – a refreshing contrast to the blackened tofu. Served on top of sauteed swiss chard, there’s layers of textures and flavors that all comes together for a healthy and anything but boring meal.

I feel just like a kid who got a brand-new toy and I can’t wait to give Vegan Soul Kitchen another whirl.

Related Links
To learn more about Bryant Terry, check out his website here. To purchase your very own copy of the Vegan Soul Kitchen, click here.

Comments

this looks so good! i’ve never had southern american food before either (though it’s not surprising because there isn’t really a demand for it in australia!) but it really appeals to me. YUM!

Nora – Thanks! I haven’t tried the blackened tofu from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. This is the first time I’ve even heard of blackened tofu. But it would be interesting to compare the two.

Tami (Vegan Appetite) – Thank you!

lisa (show me vegan) – It’s funny how we’re on the same brain wave sometimes. :-)

Philippa O – Thanks! It’s fun to try new foods and recipes!

Carrie – Thanks!

veggievixen – I’ve forgotten how much I do like lima beans until I tried the salsa. I liked it so much, I was eating just the salsa by itself as a snack. :-)

i’m totally gonna have to get Vegan Soul Kitchen! wahoooooo! i’ve never had baby lima beans in salsa before either! it sounds so good! and hooray for tasty ‘n spicy blackened tofu goodness! your photo looks amazing!

Wow, this is interesting! I never thought soul food could be veganized, but then I didn’t think Korean food could be veganized either, so who am I to say? I think I’m going to get this book.

This looks so delicious! I’ve been debating whether or not to buy the book, and you just convinced me… vegan soul kitchen, here I come

6. Candace says

Soulfood does not contain or include “salsa”.

The presentation looks more like european food and looks unrecognizable to me.