Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup

I had a butternut squash languishing in the refrigerator for weeks before I finally got around to cooking it. Poor little thing, it sat in the fridge for far too long. I had to hack off the moldy parts but the rest of it was still good. I was surprise the squash lasted as long as it did, what a trooper.

I made a rich, creamy butternut squash soup, with a nice, spicy kick from the fresh ginger and cayenne pepper. So yummy for the end of winter, so happy for the beginning of spring.

Butternut Squash Soup
Makes a generous 2 cups

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 small onion, minced
1 med carrot, sliced
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
1/2″ fresh ginger, minced
2 cups hot water
1 cube vegan vegetable bouillon dissolved in the water
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 heaping tablespoons silken tofu
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1-2 pieces baked tofu, cubed

In a large pot, heat the oil until hot, add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the squash and carrots and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the water, ginger and spices.

Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to low. Cook for about 18 minutes or until the squash is soft. Add the tofu and puree until smooth. Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onions and baked tofu croutons if desired. Serve immediately.

Comments

I’m digging everything about this soup- All those textures and flavors! Not to mention the nutrition… I must make this soon while it’s still cold out!

i looooove butternut squash. one of my favorite veggies. i used to make a similar soup recipe w/ heavy cream before i was veg slash vegan-aware, but i have been wanting to try a tasty vegan version. thanks for the recipe :)

what a beautiful soup! i have a butternut that’s look’n like it may go bad soon – i’m gonna have to try your soup! and i have everything to make it already! yay! thanks so much for the rock’n recipe! mmmmmmm!

Hi! Here are more than you want to know butternut squash facts: winter squashes are among the best-keeping vegetables. Uncut squash should keep for three months or longer in a cool, dry place. Storage below 50°F (as in the refrigerator) will cause squash to deteriorate more quickly, but refrigerator storage is acceptable for a week or two. Uncooked cut squash will keep for up to a week if tightly wrapped and refrigerated.

With that said, your soup looks gorgeous!

I was missing the tofu, but I will be sure to try this next time. Great idea! And beautiful photo! I linked your recipe (with credit) on my page. Let me know if you want me to remove it.

Michele – Yes, you can. I made a batch earlier in the week and still have a bit left. It keeps fine in the fridge. Just add the tofu croutons when you’re ready to eat. :-)

7. Ruth Robinson says

What temperature do you bake the tofu and do you put anything on the tofu because I couldn’t find the answer. Thanks

this was great! really easy to make and tasted delicious. I added some salt and cinnamon, I felt like it needed something to sweeten it/add some flavor. Didn’t do the baked tofu, will have to try next time. I love that I had the whole thing done in 20 minutes, it really only took like 5-10 minutes of work to prep and blend!