Baked Falafel

Baked Falafel

I was so looking forward to pigging out at my favorite Mediterranean cafe but they were closed for the holidays. So I decided to make my own falafels, baked not fried, as part of my healthier 2009 eating initiative.

I thought they came out pretty good. They’re different than the ones I’ve gotten at restaurants, probably because 1. I used canned garbanzo beans instead of dried, 2. I didn’t use a food processor to combine everything and 3. It’s not fried.

Next time I’m going to try using dry garbanzos and a food processor but I’ll leave the frying for eating out as a treat. Besides, I’m much too lazy to clean up a big, fried mess. What? Did you really think I was going to stop being lazy in the new year?

Baked Falafel
Makes about 21 balls

1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Put in a medium sized bowl and smash with a fork. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Form into small balls, about 1 1/2″ in diameter and slightly flatten. Place onto an oiled baking pan.

Bake for 15 minutes on each side, until nicely browned (since it’s baked, only the part actually touching the pan will be browned and crispy).

Serve with mini pita pockets, hummus, tahini sauce, tomatoes, lettuce and/or cucumber.

Comments

Great idea on the triangle shape! Thanks! Seems like you could probably just whip up your own vegan mint yogurt sauce. There’s plenty of plain soy or coconut yogurt out there to choose from, add mint and whatever other ingredients. I haven’t tried researching recipes myself though…

I just made a slightly different recipe for dinner but it was fried and afterwards I vowed to never make falafels again! But I just found this recipe and think I will go for it and bake them next time. Thank you, thank you for posting this.
    My favorite falafel restaurant closed several years ago and I still remember King Falafel in Grover Beach, CA with fondness.

Renela – I never made it to King Falafel before it closed. :-(

Dg – Caramelized onions! That must have added a ton of flavor, great idea! Thanks!

4. Stephanie says

I’ve made this recipe three times, and am about to make it again for lunch. My favorite baked falafel recipe. Fantastic stuff. Thanks!

I just made these tonight and let me say they are AMAZING. I used a little bit extra cumin and only 1 tbsp of parsley (I’m used to brown falafel, not green) and put everything in the food processor. They were actually pretty moist for me and formed patties on their own, which was nice because they came out crispy all over. The only change I’ll make next time will probably be to use a large shallot instead of a small onion, but that may be because my grocery store’s onions are, as a whole, abnormally large. I don’t think I’ll ever buy falafel again–thanks so much for posting this!

6. donanaPDXfoody says

I’m going to make these asap! Found your site while looking for salad rolls (love your step by step instructions),and then I got hooked checking out all your creations! Veganism has never looked so good to me before – You’re already on my ‘favorites’!

7. Michael says

Used dry chick peas and a pressure cooker. I added a litle extra liquid. 45 minutes at 425 and they were crispy and not too dry.

8. kim says

I was looking to make something with chickpeas and found this recipe. I was so excited as I cannot eat anything high in fat or I get sick. Off to the store I went to purchase the remaining ingredients. I was SOOO let down after I made these. They were so dry and bland. I followed everything exact and I don’t understand all the great reviews. I am sorry to say I would never make these again!

Hi, I had been wanting to make healthy homemade felafel for a long time and took a bet on your recipe (triple-size) after pressure cooking several cups of chickpeas. We didn’t have fresh coriander on hand, but used crushed seeds instead. I also used whole wheat breadcrumbs instead of flour. Eaten with a cucumber mint raita sauce, they were great!

10. Eva says

I tried these out for a dinner party and they were a huge sucess!!!! Delicious flavor and pretty crispy texture. I will DEFINETLY make these again.

11. Meg says

We tried these tonight and they were AMAZING! My 11 year old daughter helped and after dinner declared this a “keeper recipe.” We put ours in pita pockets with cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce and avocado. YUM. Thanks for sharing!!!

12. AmyVeggie says

I’m a vegetarian who lives mostly off of Amy’s food and other frozen meals. That’s been getting pretty expensive so I looked around online and found your blog :) I made these falafels tonight, and YUM YUM YUM YUM!!! Move aside Amy’s!!! Thank so much for this recipe- do you know if these freeze well? Freezing something that’s homemade is better than pre-packaged frozen stuff… right? Thanks again!

13. Sophie says

Just made these – yum! They were crispy on the outside but a little too wet inside, I think I used too much onion. Flavours & texture were great. I served them with rice pilaf and pepperonatta. Next time I’m gonna try a little tahini paste instead of the olive oil.
    Thanks for the delicious, nutricious & scrumptious recipe!

14. Angela says

I’ve been cooking these all week! They are delicious!! Better than any recipe I’ve tried for the fried falafel! The fact that they’re baked and crispy makes this recipe a keeper! Thanks for posting!

15. Tink says

I love this recipe and THANK YOU for putting it out there! I have made this twice and started using falafel mix as the flour and like it better that way, but either way you make it the recipe rocks.

16. Sara says

I loved this recipe!!!
    I had been searching for a good falafel recipe that didn’t involve frying because, let’s face it, it IS much healthier! Haha. I clicked on your site and fell in love….with the falafels. Hehe. And as everyone knows, we eat with outré eyes before we do with our mouth, and the pic on you site was making want to go shopping immediately!!! So I did. I loved them, and so did my mom!

17. Richard says

I have made this recipe numerous times over the past few weeks and love it! I found that the food processor works well for combining the ingredients, although it does tend to turn the falafel a weird greenish color from the cilantro and parsley. Someone else suggested tripling the cilantro and that is definitely a needed change to the recipe. Also, the recipe makes about 12, not 21 (as indicated on the recipe).

I found that I could make a big batch and then take it cold for lunch throughout the week – delicious! Thanks for a great recipe! In fact, I think I’ll have some tomorrow!

18. db says

Hey, thank you for posting this. I usually fry the falafel & its quite messy and makes the kitchen hot. This has been much easier. REGARDS

19. Cindy says

Made these this evening and loved them. We baked them and they fell apart a bit, but were still really good. Hoping to figure out how to keep them from falling apart the next time. We used fresh chck peas and rye flour. We also made the yogurt cucumber sauce with them and served them with that and the tahini sauce. Healthy and yummy!We did use dried chick beans that I had baked this morning instead of canned.

I made these for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and since then we’ve had them twice more. They’re quick, easy, and delicious!

Tonight my (non-vegetarian) husband said that I should make them even more often, and I’m totally okay with that!

21. Katerina says

I just made these. The chili pepper seeds got away from me and I used way too much but otherwise it is just amazing. I had trouble keeping them together but they firm up with baking. Thanks for the recipe!

22. Pam says

Found your recipe via pinterest a while ago and finally got around to trying it. It was delicious! On a pita with some hummus, lettuce and tomato I really couldn’t even tell the difference between these and the fried I get when I order out. This is going in the dinner rotation for sure! Thank you!

23. Linda says

I made this tonight, and it was awesome! I doubled recipe and flattened them, & baked @370 15min. per side. My came out crispy, and my husband said, they taste just like flafel! Will make all the time.

24. Lorna says

This is soon to be a weekly recipe at my house! Delicious, easy and raves from all present!
    I think I’ll try some grated carrot in a few, maybe some bulgar wheat too!
    Hummus with olive tapenade was yummy!
    Great recipe!

25. Michelle M. says

I’ve been eating falafel my whole life and dont really mind that they r fried. I just saw your recipe on the Eat Well Enjoy Life facebook page and I have to admit, they look yummy, will definitely be trying this recipe.

I loved these. I tried baking them two ways — some flat on the baking sheet and the other half in little reusable muffin baking cups I have. The cups works well to make them a perfect little shape. I did have to cook mine longer than you recommended, though, maybe 10 minutes (and I flipped the ones on the sheet after 15 minutes).

I live alone so I put the leftovers in a baggie in my refrigerator. They look like a bag of oatmeal cookies and since I’m on a diet that doesn’t allow cookies (or sugar), it’s kind of nice. When I get hungry for meals, I pop one of these in my mouth and it’s like I’m getting a flavorful bean and cumin cookie! Thank you for the recipe.

27. angelina says

Ok. Lemme tell you about these falafel. They are so stupid tasty, I’ve got my second batch in the past 24hrs in my oven, right now. I’ve never made falafel from scratch, and admittedly having to really work the final mixture ( think SQUEEZE the ball in your hand repeatedly to get the form to stick in a ball), I thought the whole process was quick. The 30min baking time sucks bc you want to eat them immediately! I served them with Karma Chow’s avocado mayo which is also ridiculously easy to make. Thinking about making some falafel sliders outta this recipe. :)

28. Cathryn says

Made these tonight for dinner and they were so tasty! Thanks for the great recipe, I will definitely make again and recommend it to my friends!

29. Kate says

I’ve never cooked falafel before but I love them. Thanks for the recipe. Lots of good suggestions in the posts as well. I made them with a mixture of 5 bean mix and chickpeas (both tinned) similar to how Jamie Oliver made them on his 15 minute meals. I would add more garlic next time and someone else suggested fava beans for the green colour. So many things to try out. I loved them and will def be making them again. Kate , from Sydney, Australia

30. Alexandra Bobrow says

Great recipe! Decided to use a food processor instead of mashing it because I liked the finer consistency. I also didn’t have fresh coriander but it still tastes great!

I’m making this as the vegetarian option for new years dinner tomorrow so I hope my friend likes it as the alternative is sheep ribs :P

31. Todd says

I made this tonight. I used dried herbs, sorry fresh was not available. I also used my food processor in short bursts to achieve the desired consistency. Lastly I used parchment paper and did not treat the patties with oil (the included olive oil was enough). They CAME OUT GREAT! Crunchy on the outside, soft inside. We will double the recipe next time and put some away in the freezer for later meals. I can’t say enough how easy this was with the food processor. Many thanks from a largely carnivorous family.

32. Karen says

These are amazing! I used cooked dried beans instead of canned. I smashed them with a potato masher…next time I’ll dig out the food processor! Thank you so much! I crave these now!

I love love love this recipe! It turns out perfect every time and it really saved me while I was on a 2 year breastfeeding elimination diet! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!