BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich

BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich

Over the long Memorial Day weekend, I decided to give BBQ pulled pork style jackfruit a whirl. I’ve been reading about it lately and it sounds so weird yet undeniably interesting at the same time.

BBQ is something I haven’t had in a long, long time. Grilling is quick, high heat over the grill. BBQ is low and slow – veggies don’t usually need to be cooked this way. So I was looking forward to enjoying a little BBQ.

The smell was incredible and the color is a nice tantalizing brown. But when I had a taste bite, I did not care for it at all. It tasted like how it looked when it first came out of the can, kinda of a vinegar taste. Or maybe it was the BBQ sauce I was using. Or maybe it was because I used my rice cooker on the slow cook setting. Needless to say, I was very disappointed and set it aside.

At the end of the day when I was debating what to do with it, I gave it one more try and nibbled a tiny bit. What!!? It tasted great! I guess the BBQ sauce and/or jackfruit just needed more time for the flavor to develop. So happy now.

BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich

Jackfruit is a giant, prickly oval fruit grown in India, Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America. It’s the largest tree borne fruit in the world. Ripe jackfruit is sweet and eaten as a dessert. The canned young green jackfruit in brine is unripe. It’s prepared as a vegetable and is also known as “vegetable meat”. Both versions can be found at the Asian grocery store.

BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich
Serves 2

1 20 ounce can young green jackfruit in brine
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt
1/2 cup + extra BBQ sauce, bottled or homemade
Hamburger buns

Drain and wash the jackfruit in several changes of water. After washing, squeeze out as much water as you can.

In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the garlic. Add the jackfruit and salt to taste, and cook for a 3-4 minutes over medium heat.

Transfer the jackfruit to a slow cooker, add the BBQ sauce and mix well. Set the cooker for 1 hour, occasionally stirring and adding more sauce or water as needed. The jackfruit should be fork tender and come apart easily.

Take the jackfruit out of the cooker and shred with a fork. Let the jackfruit sit for several hours or overnight to further develop the flavor or if it taste good to you right out of the pot, dig in. Serve on toasted buns with your choice of more BBQ sauce, mayo, coleslaw or pickles.

Comments

1. Manfred says

I live in Thailand and have a jackfruit tree in my yard, I so tried this recipe. It turned out quite good, especially the second day. One thing I did not know before: When peeling a fresh, green fruit, a lot of latex oozes out. That created a big mess on my knife, hands and cutting board, that was very hard to clean. I have since been told by a Thai, that all surfaces should be coated with oil before cutting. I will try that the next time.

2. redjewel says

I’ve tried it as “fishcakes”. A little tweaking and they are quite good.I will have to try it as a pulled dish.Thamx for posting the recipe.
    VeganDad…do you have a Food Basics where you are. I found it there in the Timmins store. It is located in the center with all the ethnic foods.

3. ThoughtSausage says

Tried this yesterday/today. Rinsed vigorously several times. Cooked on stove for about 5 minutes or so with onion, garlic, and som shriacha. Put in the the crockpot for about 3 hours or so. Left in fridge over night to this evening. Cooked again on the stove top. I used Sweet Baby Rays sauce. My wife was able to eat a sandwich, but i couldnt do it. there was just something off for me. Between the texture (the rind part didnt cook very well) and the hint of brine in the background, it just didnt work for us. Might try again if I could find it in water, not brine, and by trimming the rind off.

4. LM says

We made this tonight, it was amazing we used a lot of hickory flavoured BBQ sauce about half a bottle and fresh ciabatta buns. We found that 2 x 20 oz cans just made enough pulled pork for us. We bought jackfruit in brine in Chinatown in Toronto for abou t$2 a can. All in probably cost about $7. Been a vegetarian for 2 years, and this is as good as I remember real BBQ Pulled Pork being.

5. Scott says

I made this last night using jackfruit in water; a 20 oz. can was less than $2.00 at the local Asian Market. It turned out great!

6. Tina says

We have a restaurant in K.C., Mo called FUD and we have eaten BBQ Jackfruit there. We absolutely love it! Want to try this receipe.

7. Stephanie says

Thank you!! I had vegan pulled pork at Earthfare on their hot bar and have been trying to figure out how they did it ever since. I found canned jackfruit at my local asian market and I am super excited to try this!

8. m.e. says

It’s crazy that this post is five years old and people are still commenting on it! I just tried a jackfruit taco at one of my fave restaurants here in Philly! It was so delicious, and I had so many questions, “What the hell is a jackfruit?” “How do I get more of it!” Thanks for the recipe. I am totally trying this!

KM – Sorry, I don’t have a pressure cooker so I’m not sure how it’s different from a crockpot.

10. Jerry says

Canned green jackfruit in brine is available on Amazon.com, so even those of us stuck in the most rural of zip codes can enjoy rhis treat

11. Valerie says

Thanks for this recipe. I am planning to have a full vegan southern dinner here in the Fall and thought a “pulled pork” BBQ would fit in nicely. Jackfruit is used extensively in SE Asia as a vegetarian substitute for different recipes.

12. Raaj says

The main problem here is “CANNED” – anything that comes from a can is mixed with known (and hidden) preservatives that messes up texture, taste and smell. Use fresh jackfruit and it tastes AWESOME. I often eat burritos, burgers and other things made off bbw jackfruit here in Ft Collins, CO (thanks Taste of harmony) and LOVE it every single time. I don’t personally care for whether it looks like pulled port or not because I don’t want my vegan food to even look like any meat. In essence, this is a great vegetable/fruit to make great recipes from. I wish it has a bit less of sugar but you can always burn it off by running a couple extra miles :)

13. Valerie says

Warning!! I had an unpleasant surprise attempting to deal with a fresh one… GUMMY!! could not get my knife or plate or cutting board clean. wikipedia suggests oiling hands and knives first before cutting. Not sure I like that idea either. I will admit, raw, it was good.

1. […] tried it yet, since I’m still on the jackfruit hunt, but a quick Google search revealed this BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich recipe, which kind of looks amazing.  Click on over also just for the chance to see what jackfruit […]